Monday 5 March 2018

Paul Levy, Ealing


I have been taught Scripture since they day I was born, my parents had come to faith out of a completely non-Christian background and made sure, as children, we learnt the Bible. Each week there was a memory verse for church and we were encouraged to read our Bibles. I wish I delighted in the Bible more, I love it and yet I don't read it as I should.  I spend my life and the best part of each day studying God's Word and yet I find myself not as excited by it as I should be.  There are glimpses when we taste just how delicious Scripture is but I wished I knew that more. Anyway, here are some verses of the living Word that have had a big impact on me.

Which verses would you take to the desert island?

But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. Psalm 3:3

This verse was sent to me the day that my daughter Phoebe was born. Phoebe has Down Syndrome and it was a great shock to us, she was quite poorly when she was born and this verse was a great source of strength to me. I’d read Psalm 3 many times but somehow had missed it, Spurgeon wrote of certain scriptures being written in invisible ink and when they are held to the fire of adversity they become visible. This was one of those verses, the prayer to lift my head.

But I said, “I have laboured in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my right is with the Lord, and my recompense with my God.” Isaiah 49:4

The Servant of the Lord is speaking here and it is remarkable that in his humanity he knows how those of us often feel in Christian Ministry. The frustration and seeming futility can sometimes be overwhelming and yet even Christ entrusted himself to the Lord. It’s a wonderful encouragement and example.

Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling. Psalm 2:11

It’s a great summary of what the Christian life looks like, there’s fear in recognising who the Lord is and yet there is rejoicing. The paradox of the Christian life

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

This is a verse I find myself quoting to myself when I’m doubting or tempted. My great problem is forgetfulness or, I think John Owen said, unacquainted-ness with my privileges. The battle is to recognise I am united to Christ by faith. It’s gloriously personal.

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:21- 26

The children in our church learnt these verses last year and it was a joy to hear them reciting it. I need these truths to keep me hoping and waiting and seeking. It's been great to be able to talk about this with our kids round the dinner table.

Who would you like to find on the island for company?

If I can’t take my wife or mates or my brothers it’s a difficult one.  There’s members of my congregation who are now part of the church triumphant and I would love to spend time with them but it probably would be Calvin; to spend hours quizzing him would be terrific. He could educate me but he’d obviously have to learn English. The other contenders would be Willie Still who exercised a 50 year ministry in Aberdeen, I never met him nor heard him but his writings have had a big influence on me and how I view the work of a minister. If neither he nor Calvin were available I’d probably go for Douglas Macmillan who was a Free Church Minister, when I was growing up he would preach in Wales and I only heard him 3 or 4 times but he left an indelible impression of what preaching can be.

Which song would you take to the island?

It would be, I greet Thee, Who my sure Redeemer art’ from the Strasbourg Psalter which is often attributed to Calvin.

I greet Thee, Who my sure Redeemer art,
My only trust and Saviour of my heart,
Who pain didst undergo for my poor sake;
I pray Thee from our hearts all cares to take.

Thou art the King of mercy and of grace,
Reigning omnipotent in every place:
So come, O King, and our whole being sway;
Shine on use with the light of Thy pure day.

Thou art the life, by which alone we live,
And all our substance and our strength receive;
Sustain us by Thy faith and by Thy power,
And give us strength in every trying hour.

Thou hast the true and perfect gentleness,
No harshness hast Thou and no bitterness:
O grant to us the grace we find in Thee,
That we may dwell in perfect unity.

Our hope is in no other save in Thee;
Our faith is built upon Thy promise free;
Lord, give us peace, and make us calm and sure,
That in Thy strength we evermore endure.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbling across this very late. What a wonderful story! Can you please share more about your parents' background?

    ReplyDelete