Wednesday 13 November 2019

Joe Kirby, Wigan


To be stuck on a desert island with just a handful of Bible verses to dwell on sounds idyllic! Perhaps I'm speaking only for myself but I find life so full of distractions. But when I spend time meditating on God's Word, and I mean really meditating, not just ticking the "I've done my quiet time box," I really do find that I'm an activity addict like Martha and need to hear those words of Jesus, "Only one thing is necessary."

Which verses would you take to the island?

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21

So let's begin with a verse which a verse which blew my mind when I first became a Christian. Every night, before I went to bed as an early believer, I would read 365 Days with Charles Spurgeon. I remember the text for the evening on the 16th April 2011 was 2 Corinthians 5:21. Spurgeon writes, "When the judge of all the earth said, "Where is sin?" Christ presented himself."
This verse moved me greatly and I dwelled on it for many months that Christ not only was the sacrifice for our sin but he became those wretched sins for us on the cross and that's why "it pleased the Lord to bruise him." (Isaiah 53:10)

…the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

There are another couple of verses which, as a street preacher, I often find myself quoting as I'm preaching off the kerbs of Lancashire. Probably the number one most quoted verse from me is 1 John 1:7 - I love that picture of King David in Psalm 51, after he's committed adultery with Bathsheba, crying out "Wash me and I shall be white than snow." I have no doubt that, on the streets, some of the worst kinds of people by the world's standards have walked past me as I've been street preaching. But the atoning blood of Jesus can scrub the filthiest sinner and make them totally clean in God's eyes.

…it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment. Hebrews 9:27
…without shedding of blood there is no remission. Hebrews 9:22
The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” Psalm 14:1

Some other verses I often quote are Hebrews 9:27, Hebrews 9:22 and Psalm 14:1. So if this desert island has some kind of indigenous people that need to hear the Gospel I would likely take those verses to them and preach from a palm tree perhaps.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”… 2 Corinthians 12:9

A verse which has helped me personally over the years as a young man who struggles with anxiety have been the warm words of the Saviour in Matthew 6:34. If there are any over thinkers like me reading this, you will be able to empathise that we worriers spend a lot of time living in the future with the two words, "WHAT IF?" etched on our minds. But Jesus reminds us that we aren't even promised tomorrow, that there's enough pain in one day, so live each day at a time. When you couple this verse with 2 Corinthians 12:9 we are reminded God provides a measured amount of trouble in 24 hours but also covers it with the exact amount of grace to get you through the day and this promise has always been true in my wife and my own life.

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time. 1 Peter 5:6

Lastly, to take a verse with me to keep me from sin (there have been many). One which is particular dynamite to me at the moment is 1 Peter 5:6. The older I get, the more I realise I'm not a nice person at all! I can be self-centred, quick-tempered, judgemental, arrogant and unguarded. Something I used say to myself was "Get off the throne, Joe" and I think it's helpful for us all to remember we are but dust and ashes. God is the sovereign ruler of the universe who has permitted our heart to beat for this past hour, so let our next breath be a breath of gratefulness, that we might be humble vessels for God realising it is by grace alone we are even alive today.

Who would you like to find on the island for company?

One great saint from the past I would take on this desert island with me would be George Whitfield; I'd probably pretend to be a unbeliever for an hour or so just to observe how he approaches sharing the Gospel with me, then after ‘becoming a Christian’ I'd pretend I was Biblically illiterate so that he I could listen to him preach the full counsel of God. After I'd blown my cover, I'd ask him how he managed to preach 28 times in a week and if he could offer any other advice to a budding open air preacher!







Which song would you like to take to the island?

If I could only take one hymn and only had permission to sing that alone, I would sing "I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice." In the church where I grew up, there was an elderly man who used to sing in a choir with other men his own age. I got a copy of his CD and I played this hymn on repeat over and over as I was driving in my little red Citroen. I love this hymn because of it's a joyful tune, I love it because it reminds me of evangelism and above all I love it because it reminds me that, daily, I need to preach the Gospel to myself.

I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith,
And be closer drawn to Thee.

Draw me nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.

Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow’r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.

O the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God,
I commune as friend with friend!

There are depths of love that I yet may know
Ere Thee face to face I see;
There are heights of joy that I yet may reach
Ere I rest in peace with Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment